Environmentally Responsible Tourism
Inkaland Journeys takes its responsibilities to sustainable and responsible tourism seriously.
At Inkaland Journeys, we firmly believe that responsible tourism is the only way one can guarantee the sustainable development of adventure travel for present and future generations. We are aware that every trip has an impact and we do all we can to ensure that our actions are sensitive to the local environment while benefiting the local community. As people who live very close to the natural world we are genuinely proactive in minimizing our impacts by educating our staff and guests in appropriate techniques to preserve the Andean environment. Inkaland Journeys has always practiced, and always will be committed to, the need to ‘leave only footprints’.
To ensure we meet these committed principles , we work with local people, using local staff and supporting locally owned accommodations. We have also managed to educate and influence our field staff and their communities to improve their quality of life by enhancing their interaction with their own immediate environment. Our trekking and climbing expeditions are organized to have minimal impact on the environment: groups are limited (max 12); wood is not used for fuel we do use gas for cooking; cleanliness of water sources is protected at all times; All crew are rigorous in ensuring that all litter is removed from campsites and properly disposed of.
We want our clients to appreciate and respect other countries, their institutions, traditions, religions and heritage and we are committed to creating positive long-term relationships with the communities and places we visit.
Inkaland Journeys’ Responsible Tourism Principles.
• Consider environmental management a company priority, committing ourselves to complying with applicable legislation in addition to other voluntary compliances established by us.
• Annually review our qualitative and quantitative goals to reduce to the maximum possible levels that we generate of solid waste, pollution of water, the risks of fire and the disturbance of wildlife caused by our activities and services.
•Responsibly use Peruvian tourist attractions and the surrounding natural resources preventing their unnecessary abuse and/or consumption minimizing impacts caused to the lifestyle of communities in harmony with the landscape, flora and fauna.
• Promote the proactive participation and training of our Inkaland Journeys’ team and our clients in the maintenance of the Environmental Management System, involving and committing them to the compliance of Inkaland Journeys’ environmental principles.
• We hire permanent local staff, local tour leaders and qualified professional guides who commit to, and actively promote, our Responsible Tourism Principles.
• We encourage our clients through our leaders, to review our literature and presentations so as to act in a responsible way with insight and understanding of the host destination.
• We aim to minimize water and atmospheric pollution from tourism developments.
• We aim to achieve a zero litter policy though our staff and with our clients understanding and active support when on day hikes and treks.
• We aim to integrate environmental considerations into all economic considerations.
• We provide regular and ongoing continuous improvement training in the principles and practices of responsible tourism with our entire professional staff.
• We provide financial support for local economic and environmental projects that will benefit the local community thereby actively encouraging local community involvement in Tourism Projects.
• Where ever possible we are committed to putting money directly into the communities we visit by using locally owned and run accommodation and eating locally produced food.
• We are careful to ensure that local staff and operators receive a fair rate for their professionally provided services.
• Our client groups are small and sustainable tourism is always in the forefront of our policy.